Monday, March 31, 2014

Dear Sponsored Child


 Dear Sponsored Child,
 Recent changes to the requirements of World Vision employees have been made. I strongly disagree with the allowances they have made, so I have decided to withdraw my contribution that provides much needed help for you and your community. I know you struggle daily to get clean water, food, and other necessities. But, you see, here in America we have so much extra time and money that we can pick and choose to whom we want to give it. Only certain organizations are worthy of my contribution, and now World Vision is not one of them. They previously did not allow those who struggled with sexual sin to work for them, but now they do. Can you imagine?! Soon they will let any sinner work for them. I just can't risk that, so I'm having to let you go. I really do hope that by taking your help away, World Vision will change their regulations and you will be able to have clean water and medicine once again. 
                    
Sincerely & with much love,
 Your Sponsor
  
 We sponsor a few children through World Vision and there is nothing that can really compare to it. I have to admit that we don't write to our kids nearly as much as we should, but we do still get letters. I love seeing that orange and white envelope come with a stamp from a foreign country. Our oldest girl, who we specifically chose because she was older, writes the most. She lives in Kenya and the stamps are just beautiful. They send pictures of things they have bought with our monetary Christmas gift. Last year someone bought a bed. Other things they have purchased are school supplies, clothes, and even a keyboard! Let me just say that we do not give a whole lot compared to American standards, but the money goes a very long way.

 With all of that being said, I can not imagine pulling out of these relationships for any reason. But I have read from a few different sources that professed Christians have ended 2000-5000 sponsorships. I really don't know if I'm more sad or more angry. The reason: World Vision made a decision to recognize same-sex marriages in their policy that prohibits sex outside of marriage. I won't even approach that topic. 

 Shortly after the announcement, I shared simply what my choice was on the subject. I like to tap into current issues and admittedly I love to ruffle feathers. Christian feathers. As a Christian who already sponsored several children through World Vision, I wanted to share my view. Here it is:

 I want to be transparent. I was not intending the status to convey that we would sponsor more children. If we had felt called to do that, we certainly would have. I just meant that I would be holding on tight to the ones we already had.

 Here's where I get to the part that makes Christians uncomfortable. Shame on us. In a decision so big that it affects the entire world, we really made Christ look hateful. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the decision they made. It is not my place to judge the decisions of others, whether it be other individuals or organizations. It is my place to love, and to love with reckless abandon. 

 I am by no means saying to give to things that are overtly against the teachings of God. If you do not feel comfortable sponsoring children or more children with this ministry because of their choice, then don't. But to threaten to drop or to act on your judgment and drop children is, frankly, disgusting. By doing this, we are using manipulation to control the organization we so freely supported. Not to mention, we are causing starving and sick children to suffer at our hands.

 "But God said...and He wouldn't want..." Okay. Let's go there. Do you believe that when God called you to sponsor your child or children that He knew what choices were ahead? If that is true, then we should trust God to do what He alone has the authority to do: convict and correct. By using our wallet to get what we believe is "right," we are acting as the Holy Spirit of leaders at World Vision. We are acting as God. A hateful, manipulating, self-righteous god. 

 Many of us know that the greatest commandment is to love the Lord with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength. The second is love your neighbor. You may not know that when speaking to Jesus, a man stated "to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices." (Mark 12:33 NIV) To this, Jesus told the man that he was wise. So if you aren't giving out of love, then don't give.

          If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don’t love, I’m nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate.
If I speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, “Jump,” and it jumps, but I don’t love, I’m nothing.
 If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don’t love, I’ve gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love. (1 Corinthians 13, MSG)

No comments :

Post a Comment