Thursday, May 9, 2013

Dust Bunnies

 I think it's time for a reality check. Not just for me, but for all of you mothers of toddlers or any age children that spend the day destroying your home. So many things have been floating in my head about the reality of motherhood and living a life to please the Lord and being honest all at the same time. I've read blog posts and articles about the stress put on mothers to live up to all of the pictures and statuses on facebook glorifying their day, their children, their activities, and maybe just stretching the truth a little.

 I am guilty of mostly posting positive things on facebook. It's not because I want my life to read like a fairy tale. I just don't like complainers. Therefore, I try not to complain. I really do try to see the positive in my situations and sometimes joke about the trials of being a mom of two under the age of four. For example, some days I only have the opportunity to shower after dinner. Then I put on clean pajamas and call it a day. That's just the season I'm in, and I'm totally okay with that.

 I have a young girl and her friend coming over this weekend to bake. Let me just tell you, my house is a wreck. I mean, it's never in that great of shape, but someone might think a toy store exploded in here. Not only that, but I haven't cleaned the wood floors in weeks. I never knew what a dust bunny looked like until I had wood floors. Now they are everywhere. I also know why they are called dust "bunnies." It's because when you aren't looking, they multiply as quickly as bunnies. I once used the Swiffer to clean under all the furniture and my child asked "Mommy, what are you trying to get?" True story. When I think of the mess these young girls are walking into, I'm a little embarrassed. I want to clean it up, but then a thought crossed my mind. What if I don't clean it up and just live the way I live? They need to be told the truth about being a young mother. It would sound something like this: "When you are a young mom, if that is what you want to be someday, don't believe that other moms are doing better than you. Don't believe that they have it all together and their house is tidy and they spend all day frolicking with their perfectly dressed and well-behaved children. This is reality. Look around. The house is a little dusty and covered in crumbs, but my children are well cared for. The diapers all made it to the trash? Good day. No stitches or broken bones? Good day. Both kids napped? Great day! At the same time? Praise Jesus!!!"

 I want moms and young girls alike to know that what is important isn't your ability to teach your kids their alphabet by age 2. It isn't to spend every day of the summer doing something special. (Although my three year old might disagree, "where are we going today?") It isn't to have an immaculate home that is kept clean (this is impossible, BTW.) The important things to accomplish while being the mother of young children are to spend time with them and teach them about Jesus. That's it. If you have some extra time in the day, pick up around the house. If you don't, that's okay. You might not love every second with your child. That's okay. You might need to let them watch PBS all day so you can take a shower, dink a coke, and read. That's okay.

 I don't believe God wants us to compare our lives to other moms and try to determine if what we see on social media is fake or real. It doesn't matter. Don't let statuses or pins or tweets be the measuring stick for your life. Let Jesus be your measuring stick. It goes without saying, but Jesus didn't always have it easy. Yet he was thankful. He was thankful for what the Father gave him and for his responsibility on Earth.

 The reason I try not to post about my trials on social media is because I aim to keep my eyes so focused on God that the trials seem small. I try to be thankful for what I have and where I am, even if what I have is screaming at 3am and I am in my cozy warm bed. Of course I am far from perfect in these areas, but it is a goal. A positive attitude is born from a thankful heart.

They are taking a nap. In the kitchen.

No comments :

Post a Comment